Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac's my homie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
South Carolina
My wife and I have started a small photography business. I load all our pics on my mac in iPhoto. We run through them and delete any bad shots, then I burn a copy for her to edit in photoshop on her pc.

The problem is I have so many photos that I am running out of disk space on my mac.

Sure, I load clients photos to my external drive when we're done, but I no longer have the luxury of scrolling through thumb nails if I want to quickly retrieve an old pic.

That's why I want to know if there is any way to link iPhoto to my external hard drive? From what I've seen, I can't. But maybe someone knows a trick.

What do you guys to who have several thousands of pics on your macs?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Move your iPhoto Library folder to your external, then open iPhoto with the option key pressed, it will then ask you to choose a library, point it at the newly moved folder on your external and you'll be all set.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
You might like to check out a free app called iPhoto Buddy. It lets you manage multiple iPhoto libraries across various drives, very easily. I use it to keep work, laptop, and external HD photos separated.

sk8

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
just delete 'em ?

I moved my iPhoto library to the external, but it just copied the file. Can I delete the original ?

sk8

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
verification-ization

Thanks for helping. As long as we're this far, I may as well ask...

Should I simply rename the "iTunes Music" folder as "deadbeef" ? After that, how do I verify if it's running off the orig or copy ?

- KO

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Thanks for helping. As long as we're this far, I may as well ask...

Should I simply rename the "iTunes Music" folder as "deadbeef" ? After that, how do I verify if it's running off the orig or copy ?

- KO

iTunes always looks for a library (folder) with a specific name ('iTunes") if it does not find a folder with that name it complainswith a dialog box asking where such a folder can be found.

Try it. Apend "XXXX" to the curent library and the restart iTunes, It will complain as stated above. remove the XXXX and restart and you will be back to where you were.

You do have multiple backups of everything? There backups are disconnected and not near your computer? I hope so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.