Link Speed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohla313, May 1, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I was looking at system profiler to find what hard drive I had installed in my MBP (awhile ago forgot the name of it). I basically took out the stock 320GB because it was too loud and put in my 2009 MBP's 160GB hard drive in it.

I saw that the Link Speed is 3GB but the negotiated is 1.5GB, does that mean my system is running slower? could explain the beach balls...

Also I would like to buy the same model/type as the HD but bigger memory, I am running right now but am not sure how to read which model it is.

System Profiler says its: Hitachi HTS545016B9SA02.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

S-ATA HDDs hardly saturate the S-ATA 1.5Gbps speed anyway, thus the negotiated speed is alright and not the cause of beachballs, unless the HDD is failing.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

3. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

i already read that thread. Does it mean the firmware update fixed it on my MBP? If it did then how come I still see that link speed at 1.5?

HD failing? I checked Disk Utility and it says the disk is running fine though?

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I plan to get an SSD when Lion comes out so won't this limitation of 1.5GB interfere? How can I get 3GB link speed then?

5. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

no idea if this is a error I need to fix or its normal? I just want to make sure that when I get an SSD or this new HDD, the MBP will be able to use it fully.