Link style problem

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Brendon Bauer, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

If you go to my website you'll see the menu at the top of page. That is how the menu should be formatted.

If you click on "Discussion Board" you'll see that the phpbb3 forum theme is causing the links in the menu to get bigger and whatnot. I can't figure out how to stop that from happening.

I've tried adding a class to the menu links and set the style specifically for that class, but that doesn't stop it.

EDIT: Solved :)

2. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

An impatient one indeed :p

That was a frustrating problem though. It was bugging me that I couldn't tell why, but finally figured it out. It's all in the font-family. The PhpBB added some style (style.php) to the body tag, namely this line,
    Code:
    font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
    Verdana is a bigger font and the rest of your site doesn't use it. Since your navigation and other style sheets don't declare the font family for them this stlye was getting thrown in. So the solution is to either edit PhpBB's style.php file or in your sunset.css file, specifically declare font family on body and probably the navigation.

4. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

I never would have guessed... Thanks so much! That did it!

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I dealt with issues like that when I ported phpBB to our web portal at work, and I had to edit certain global CSS selectors and also make sure I linked certain crucial portal CSS files after the phpBB ones, taking advantage of the cascade. What bothers me about phpBB themes (skins) is sometimes third party inexperienced authors use tons of inline CSS which makes it even harder to resolve (as that cascades over any linked styles or those declared in the head area of your HTML).

-jim

6. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

So in CSS is it the last style to get parsed that takes precedence over anything before it? For example if in the page header you had:

Code:
    <link href="mine.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <link href="theirs.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" />

and in mine.css you declared the body {} font to be arial, but in theirs.css the body {} font was sans-serif. Would this mean that the browser would use sans-serif, because it came last?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

8. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502