Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gersam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2009
After opening Mac HD folder, made the mistake of attempting to change name next to house icon (Home? perhaps) along left spine (spine that includes 'Desktop' 'Documents' 'Applications' etc.). The computer started to run as if adjusting to the name change. From that point on, iphoto/tunes/aperture starting opening as if it was the first time asking for set-up preferences. No photos/music can be found in the folders. I can still see my folders on the external hard drive that the tunes/photo are on, but they will not open when I open the programs. Any suggestions on fixing the links? I tried in vain to change the name back. The error message says that the previous name is already taken. Thanks in advance for any advice.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You've tried to change the user name (short name and name of Home folder) of your account while in the account (although there shouldn't be an Applications folder inside your Home folder, only Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Movies, ...).

Look into the Users folder (on the Macintosh HD with Applications, Library, System) and see how many users are there. One folder = one user.

Or you could use System Preferences > Accounts to see how many users are on your machine.

You could also make a screen shot with Cmd+Shift+ 1 to 4 and post it here.

X1 is the Macintosh HD in this image.
mac-os-x-finder-with-folder-sizes.jpg

matthom is probably the name you changed in your case:
577.jpg

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
This is the fix. GGJstudios' link is how to change the shortname in the Apple-proscribed method and avoiding this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.