Link two Macs via Firewire

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pad07, Oct 27, 2007.

1. pad07 macrumors regular

Hi guys.

I have an iMac Core 2 Duo White and a MacBook black, is it possible to have them linked via Firewire - that is, without Target mode.

Ideally, I'd like to have the other computer show up in Networking or as an additional drive WITHOUT Target mode being necessary, so I can, hopefully, keep my iTunes and etc librarys synced with one computer.

Now is this possible? :) to any degree?

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I dont quite understand...

Why wont target disk mode be sufficient?

THanks

3. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

Because I want it to be more of a network. I'd like both computers to be on at the same time.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

From my fairly limited knowledge I think that you cant network via firewire.

How ever I have another solution for you, there is a cable called an ethernet "crossover" cable used to connect 2 computers without a router. This is probably the best solution I can think of...

A description is found here.

And a purchase link here (US)

I am sorry if you arent US (neither am I) But there is a fairly large chance that you are since the majority of these forums are!

THanks

5. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

6. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

It's a bit out of date, but you get the gist. I'd simply use an Ethernet cable though like a previous poster suggests, if you have one, to network your two Macs together. They will automatically run at Gigabit Ethernet speed, which is faster than the FireWire 400 on your MacBook. And thanks to the wonder of Bonjour, you don't have to muck about manually setting IP addresses - it'll just work™ (erm, after you enable file sharing that is).

If you don't have an Ethernet cable (note just a regular one will do, you don't need a crossover cable with your Macs), then by all means go the FireWire route.

Syncing your iTunes library is another thing though. You might want to read up on "rsync". There are GUI utilities to make using this easier, like ChronoSync.

7. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, wondrous!

I have connected them via Ethernet now. Do I just need to turn on file sharing? Is that literally it?? and can anyone else on the local network access my files?

8. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

Yes - did this between two Mac Minis a couple of years ago (had a FW cable handy and a friend had just bought a Mini so we were messing about). You have to turn on file sharing and the other machine can read anyting in your Public folder. Anything beyons that you have to monkey about with permissions.

Same holds true for two machines on a more conventional network.

9. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Oh you learn a new thing everyday!

Reason 10483 why macs are better than PCs! Ha

10. Neo-) macrumors newbie

ethernet & Airport

Using Leopard and I got my connection between the G4 and macbook. But loose my Airport connection to the internet. CAn you have them going at the same time???

11. Neo-) macrumors newbie

Looks like i reamin connected to the internet on m macbook but loose connection on my G4 although I can excess the files on Ethernet.:eek: