Linkies, Indie Developer looking for beta testers

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by visualdreams, Jul 3, 2012.

1. visualdreams macrumors newbie

Hey fellow artists!

I'm the sole artist here at VisualDreams and we are currently working on our upcoming game, Linkies. We are a small indie team of three developers. Two coders and one artist and have released two prior games, Capcom published Herman the Hermit and Slam Dunk Basketball.

Linkies is a physics based connect game built in Unity 3D. We still have about 1½ months left in development so there are a few features and a lot of polish left.

[​IMG]

We are currently looking for beta testers for it as the beta will launch in about two weeks. To register for the beta simply follow this link and register, it takes a minute and after that installation etc is handled directly to your device through email. The beta is for iOS only!

We really appreciate all the testers we can get, especially if you usually don't play many iPhone games. The beta is completely free with no strings attatched, we just hope to get your feedback on the game.

Here is a capture from the alpha...
    Linkies Alpha Gameplay - YouTube

If anyone is interested in how the backgrounds were built, character creation, gui animations, development in Unity or whatever I will gladly create some tutorials or blogpost about anything requested.

www.VisualDreams.se

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

It seems interesting, I was just looking at TestFlight the other night.

Say, what is the difference between using TestFlight and the "official" provisioning portal (whatever that is, I assume it's some kind of portal where you have the UIDs whatever of devices of testers and then you can "send" beta IPAs to those devices for testing)? Is it just the comfort of doing it "easier" (somehow, I dunno for sure).

Also is it true that it helps building beta tests (what does it do? It tells you the most clicks a given UI component got? It tells you the average time the app was opened? It tells you of any errors and sends you this info?).

Oh and also what is their SDK for? Is it necessary to use it in order for you, as a dev, to use their service? The SDK I presume has to be added to your app (on xCode that is).

Anyway I wanna try it but it says it doesn't support jailbroken devices. Is this true, any workaround, or just a scarecrow advice? Because I have 3 iDevices but of course, all of them are jailbroken.

3. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

TestFlight is perfect if you want to distribute betas, team builds or review builds. You create a Invite in TestFlight, send the url to all your testers. They register, we get their UID so we can distribute the build.

You still have to add the UID to the provisioning profile but when that is done the distribution is done through TestFlight. You upload the build and provisioning profile and all testers will get a email that a new version is out, they can then install the provisioning profile and the build through the email.

So real simple for testers.

----------

No SDK has to be added to send out builds. But to use their in-app feedback forms etc you have to implement their SDK.

I don't know if it works on jailbroken phones.

4. qubeofwar macrumors regular

What version of iOS do you aim it to run in? I figure, there won't be support for older devices.

5. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Ok, I guess I'll give it a shot then?

6. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

iPhone 3GS and up (corresponding on the iTouch) and all iPads.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I signed up, and FYI I have iOS6 Beta2. Looks very interesting.

8. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, we really appreciate all the testers we can get :)

9. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Could you ask in the Apple dev forums or something if jailbroken devices can be used for AdHoc (or whatever TestFlight uses)?

I just don't want my UDID to get banned or something hehehe.

10. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but I can't find any information about jailbroken devices and TestFlight. I read about a guy who have installed a app through testflight with a jailbroken device and that worked. But I can't find much more than that..

Although I would be really suprised if it mattered if you have a jailbroken device or not since FlightTest is not a Apple product.

11. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

But you have to input the UDIDs of the "Testers" on the provisioning portal still, right?

12. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that is correct

13. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Maybe Apple checks something.

Anyway, thanks for the insight and whatnot hehehe.

I'll sign up for your beta when I get home and hopefully the jailbroken status won't matter at all.

14. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe, I was really helpful huh? ;) If you have any device that isn't jailbroken (iPad) that will work too since it is a universal build.

Thanks, hope you like the beta!

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Joined, can't wait to try it out. :) This will be like my 5th TestFlight beta app. Love that service.

16. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, TestFlight is awesome. Distributing beta tests on iOS without it is a major pain. And also gathering feedback through the app is the only reasonable way to do it.

Hope you will enoy the beta next weekend... Fingers crossed that we keep the deadline ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!

17. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

We have made some great progress, the tutorial is ready and the levels are coming into place. We have been hamering bugs like crazy but we will have something awesome ready by friday ;)

Don't forget to register for the beta so you have something to play this weekend.

http://tflig.ht/KFBoEh

18. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

For all who have registered. The beta is out and you should have a mail in your inbox! Enjoy and have a nice weekend!

19. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Glad to say I'm now playing the beta and the jailbroken status of the device didn't had any influence whatsoever.
    So basically, a jailbroken device can be added fine to the so called provisioning portal without trouble.

20. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, now we can be sure of that in the future. Hope you enjoy the beta!

21. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

We will be sending out Linkies Beta #2 today!

We have been listening to all the great feedback from the first beta and have made the levels alot smoother and have also added a system to add stages into each level to make them a little longer. A main menu have also been added as well as a real early version of a endless mode.

[​IMG]

So if anyone want to try it simply register through THIS LINK

Thank you guys!

www.VisualDreams.se

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. visualdreams thread starter macrumors newbie

To those who registered and added a device, check your inbox. Your beta should be there waiting for you ;)