Linking a MBP up to a display...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bendy Walker, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Bendy Walker macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

I have a 17", non-widescreen display hooked up to my crappy PC at the moment, and I was wondering if, when I get my MBP, I will be able to link it to the display, close the lid, but still use the system? Or will closing the lid put it into sleep whether connected to a display or not? :confused:

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

I have a MacBook Pro at work and do that all the time. Works great.

You might need to get an adapter for your monitor to plug it into the side of your MBP however. I am guessing it is VGA...no?

SCR

3. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Thanks for the quick reply, SCR :)

Yeah, the monitor is VGA. I'm gonna buy the Apple DVI to VGA adapter cable - that should work, right?

Another concern of mine is that when I connect the MBP to the monitor, will I have adjust the display settings (because of the resolution difference, and the monitor not being widescreen), or does it do it automatically?

Finally, can you use the MBP screen and the external display screen together, but to do different things. For example, if I was copying a document up, could I display the document on the MBP screen, and then have the word processor up on the external display?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Every MBP that I bought came with a DVI-to-VGA adapter. I think it's only with the MacBook that you have to buy the adapter.

Yes, you will have to adjust the settings. It's really easy. Just go to System Prefs>Display> and select the native resolution of the monitor. Everything else is automatic. Also, usually the display will have a function to where it sets everything automatically. Only thing is to tell it which resolution you want it in.

If you want the external display to become your primary (where the dock and menu bar are shown), then all you have to do is go to Displays>Arrangement in System Prefs and drag that white bar to the other box.
    You'll know what I'm talking about when you get the MBP.
    Yes. I always have iTunes on my MBP and the main display either shows Word/Excel, Aperture, or Photoshop. Just think of it as a big 32+ inch screen divided up into 2 parts (the 15 or 17" MBP and the 17" external).

5. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Ah right, awesome. That answers my question. No more minimising to get help with quests on WoW now then...

Thanks MarkMS. :D

6. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

With my monitor it was automatic. You'd only need to change it to put more or less colours on or to change from the native resolution.

It works like an extended desktop so if you have many windows open you can have them spread over the two desktops. I don't used my MBP closed, though, since it has higher resolution than my 17" external screen. Even though it's small, it just looks a whole lot better. Anyway, you get used to having extra screen real estate. :)

7. Bendy Walker thread starter macrumors regular

Bendy Walker

Haha, sweeeet! Sounds like it's gonna be a lotta fun when I get it then.