linking data through tabs in an app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ljg93, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ljg93 macrumors member

hey guys i am making a application that has a calendar in it, the calendar is going to get events sent to it for a specific day through another tab in the app, so like on another tab in the app there are 3 text fields and the user can type three sets of data into those then click send, and it will go to the calendar for what day it is...

how can i go about doing this? sorry i am new and i am just looking for some place to start with this task.

2. hayesk macrumors 65816

Step away from the computer a bit (I don't mean that in a bad way) and think about the parts of your app. What will you need? Is the tab bar controller the best way to do what you want. Don't try to use Interface Builder to design your app - it's for implementing your design, not making it.

Step away and think about the parts of your app. Any view will likely need a view controller if it does anything. So you'll need a view controller for your calendar, and one for your screen with the three text fields. You'll need a way for the text field view controller to tell the calendar what day to go to, so the calendar view controller will need a method for the text field controller to talk to it.

You'll need a way for the two view controllers to know about each other. Think about the best way to do that.

That's about all I can say, but notice how it becomes a bit easier when you back away from XCode and think about the parts of your app individually. You should have the entire app planned out before you even make the project in XCode. Then you will have already thought about all of the parts and you can implement them one by one before tying it all together at the end.

3. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Hey, Well, I think the main issue is your lack of experience, because there are several ways to go on with this.
    For example creating data controllers, which will send your data from 1 to the other, or that other parts can acces, on the right times.
    And like the guy above me said, really think about how u want to implement, sure u don't want an navigation controller (like settings screen), etc etc.
    I'm sure I can give some decent advise with making apps, so let us know.

4. ljg93 thread starter macrumors member

is there any place where there is sample code? what would those data controllers look like

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What resources are you currently using to learn ObjC/Cocoa Touch? This can help us point you to the bits you may need, as you may already have the answers closer than you think.

B

6. ljg93 thread starter macrumors member

mostly the documentation, and the apress books, "programing for iphone"
    "learning objective c for absolute beginners"

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

8. ljg93 thread starter macrumors member

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

As a programmer, you'll find that accuracy is an important skill to have. If you write accurate code, it will have less, unnecessary warnings / errors. When you ask for help as a programmer, accuracy is also important. It will aid those you seek help from in knowing better what you are talking about and, hopefully, lead to quicker, better quality answers. That sounds like a good thing for you, doesn't it? :)

10. ljg93 thread starter macrumors member

yup

11. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

12. ljg93 thread starter macrumors member

nope this one as well

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you read Chapter 10: Application Settings and User Defaults and Chapter 11: Basic Data Persistence?