Linking MacPro with MacBookPro

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lloyd709, Mar 31, 2008.

1. lloyd709 macrumors 6502

I'd like to be able to join my two computers with an ethernet cable so that I can see each others hard drives, navigate to directories/files and copy from one machine to the other. I've spent hours trying to achieve this - which I would have thought would be possible - without any success. All I can seem to achieve is to generate 'public' folders that can be seen by both computers.

I've tried looking up how to do this in books and on the web but I can't seem to find anything that tells you how to do this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you go to connect to the other computer as the admin account on that system, you'll be able to see everything. I assume you're running Leopard and clicking on the computers as they appear in the sidebar? When you do that, across the top of the area where you can see the Public Folder will be a button that says "Connect As…." Click that and then input the admin user/pass for that computer. After a second it should show you everything.

Or you could use Firewire Disk Target mode, which will likely be faster.

4. lloyd709 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm not at home at the moment so can't try it out but I'll let you know how I get on.

In an Ideal world I'd like to be able to plug the ethernet cable into my laptop (with the other end already connected to the desktop) and without having to connect or type passwords (because I would have already done that when setting it up), I'm easily able to access all my Mac Pro disks at a fast speed.

I'm running Leopard on both machines by the way.

5. dogbait macrumors regular

Ideally have a network switch (most wireless routers have one built in), and connect via ethernet the Mac Pro and the Macbook. Then after turning both on find using Finder the other Mac.

Click on it and in the top right click on 'Connect As', enter the username and password for an 'Admin' user on that Mac and you will be able to see all folders on that mac.

You might need to go to System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing to add the location you want to share if the above doesn't yield results.