linking Mail and Address Book?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Paulk, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Paulk macrumors 6502

Paulk

A really basic question. I've heard this is possible but how to do it?

2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

what exactly are you trying to integrate? I believe Mail already links with Address book...

3. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

Mmm, yeah, Mail and Address Book seem pretty well linked to me. :eek:

4. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

In what way are the linked? I've been using Mail quite a lot to send and receive emails, but none of the @dresses in the emails I send or receive ever appear in my address book.

Yes, I know I can type in names and addresses which is quite laborious with all the fields to change and fill in, and that I can just use the mouse to lift over @dresses from the to/from fields in the emails I send/receive, but I can't see how doing these things makes Mail and the address book work together in any way at all. What am I missing?

5. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

first of all, Address Book is an application of its own. It's not just a sidecar for Mail. A lot of other applications use it, too.

How Mail uses Address Book.
    Composing a new message
    Start typing away the name (e.g. John) and it will look up all email addresses of John, stored in your Address Book, presenting you the real name and the email address.

If you have groups in Address Book (e.g. for a team you're working on, you sports team, etc.) you can put in that group name into the "To" field of a new Mail message --> all the email addresses of that group will get inserted.

In Address Book
    You can also use Address Book as the starting point. Control-clicking the various fields, reveals options for stuff you can do with the data (read: if you click on an email address, you can compose a message, if you click on a phone number, you can dial it with Skype, if you click on a mail address, you can look it up in Google Maps).

Other Applications
    As said before a lot of applications support to get an address, phone number or any contact information from Address Book.
    Skype, for example, can display all contacts with a phone number on your Skype buddy, so you can call them with the cheap SkypeOut.

Synchronization
    Moreover, you can synchronize your contacts with your bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. I wrote a tutorial on how to set this up, over at Mac Kindergarten.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

6. Paulk thread starter macrumors 6502

Paulk

Thanks, that was indeed very helpful.

I've bookmarked Mac Kindergarten to read later, and though I'm not in the mobile phone generation there seems to be quite a lot else there that's helpful for MacKids not yet out of diapers...

7. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Haha, I never thought about the diapers thing so far :)

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

bring up the Address panel in Mail from the Window menu and drag contacts into a new message.