Linking to a wireless n router at g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DuckSoup, May 16, 2008.

1. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Hey all.

Here’s my sitch.

Bought my 32G Touch in March. Bought a G wireless router the same day. All runs smooth :)

Now, today I am likely to buy an entertainment laptop that can run on wireless N, which means I intend to upgrade to an N router. I seem to recall but cannot find a post here that mentioned someone having a problem trying to get their Touch hooking up to an N router (I know the Touch operates at G maximum). I just assumed that the Touch would connect to the N router G and the N stuff (like my laptop) would at N.

Will I be able to do this? Or do I have to actually have both routers up and running to support both devices? (which won’t be a problem, only means I can’t sell the G)

Thanks!

Mike

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If your n router has a g compatibility mode than the touch will connect. The n equipment will not be able to connect at full n speeds while a g device is connected to the network, however. If you want/need to connect at full n speeds all the time, bridge the two routers together.

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

yup, I would leave you g router and just add a n router for the other stuff, have two networks

4. DuckSoup thread starter macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Coolness! Thanks all :)

Got another prob I'll post about tonight. (old PC C drive partition crashed, saved CD burns I made via ITunes (was on E partition), but want the new laptop to be host PC for ITunes and Touch. But there's other issues I have to post and ask about (if after a search I am still lost).

Mike

5. markel253 macrumors regular

Why? N routers are compatible with g and b ... so why would you run both?

FWIW - I am running a Netgear N router and have no problems as at all with any G based systems such as my ipod or Wii

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I think he is running two networks as a 'n' only network is considerably faster than a mixed (g) and (n) network.

Probably wont see any difference surfing the internet (unless he has very fast connection.) But to and from for example a hard disk attached to an airport extreme the difference is very noticeable. (I would say subjectively its 3 times faster..)

Sure, you can run a mixed network and it works well, but if you have two routers you might as well run both.

7. markel253 macrumors regular

I got the impression that he is running a single G network and is about to purchase an N compatible peripheral and wanted to know if he upgraded to an N router would his G compatible "stuff" still work or would he need to run 2 routers.

8. DuckSoup thread starter macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

No, that's not what it was. I had thought I read here that if I had an N router and had my Touch hooked up to that N wireless network at the same time (Ipod Touch running at G of course), that it would limit my new laptop (love it!) to running at G also and the only time I could run the laptop at N would be if no G items were hooked up to the N network at the time.

Anyway, the point and information quest is now moot. I am more than happy - shocked actually - with the great speed the laptop runs on the G network (4G RAM surely a factor), so I have no plants to upgrade to a Wireless N router any time soon.

So, all is well in Ipod -and, although I have to research this forum on exactly how to move all music for my Touch to the new laptop (further complicated by the fact my desktop O/S drive crashed last weekend), but at least I did have my music files on a hard drive other than the C drive (which also had the ITunes program on it).

I'm in no hurry on that though, I already have all 400+ of my CDs on the Touch (which amazes me, this being my first Ipod).

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Mike