Links in posts don't work in IOS 5 Safari

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Wiggo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Wiggo macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to IOS 5, links in posts here don't work anymore. A new tab opens with the URL in the tab title, but the URL doesn't appear in the address bar and the page is blank. It only happens for links in posts in these forums, everywhere else on the site, or in forums on other sites, links work fine.

2. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I'm not seeing this. Links are opening fine in other windows on my iPad Touch with iOS 5.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've been experiencing this fairly consistently as well. If I click a link in a thread, a new tab opens but it has nothing in the address field and the address shows in the title area. Nothing loads. If I click and hold, and select "open in new page" things are fine.

I'm thinking it's possibly an iOS bug, or else Safari doen't like the 'target="_blank"' method of opening new windows. It is a bit outdated after all.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I was just getting this too, but after restarting my phone it works fine now.

5. Wiggo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the workaround.

6. kook macrumors newbie

I see the something when trying to click download links on mediafire/depositfiles or other websites. Sometimes the click & hold method works, sometimes not. What I do is basically reload & retry again.

I find that try not to have so many tabs, this occurs more frequent when I have more than 1 tab :mad: yes it sounds really stupid. iOS 5 has made my 9 tab browsing drop till 1 or 2 at max. Else it would reload those tabs when I come back :(

7. Heateris macrumors member

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I submitted several bug reports about this to Apple during the beta phase, but they never did anything about it. Each time the beta was updated i hoped it would be resolved, but it wasn't. :rolleyes: