Links to files or folders

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ykickamookow, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Ykickamookow macrumors newbie

This may seem like a bone question, but the answer has alluded me all afternoon and I would be very grateful for your assistance.

I need to find a way, to create a link from a document to a file.

For example
    In Address Book - in the notes section, I would like to add a link to a file that relates to that person.
    (I have a document that explains the current situation of a client. I want to be able to have a link in the Address Book that allows me to click the link and it will automatically open the document).

This system has worked very well for me in the past with Windows. As I would just cut and paste the file address into the notes section. ie C://mydocuments/big-pants

I cannot work out how to do this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Ykickamoocow

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You mean eluded, of course.
    I don't know if this will work, but give it a try. Open the folder where the file is located, highlight the file, and drag it to the place where you want the link. Here's the result if I do that in the box I'm typing this reply in:
    /System/Library/BridgeSupport

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Edit: I didn't read carefully the first time and answered a different question.

4. Ykickamookow thread starter macrumors newbie

Eluded...thanks!

I have been able to move the alias to the "notes" location in the Address Book.

However what it doesn't allow me to do, is click it to open it. Is there any way of doing this?

Can it be set up as a hyper-link?

Thanks for the spelling advice..!

5. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

To open the file, Highlight the link then right click and use the "Services " menu and select "Open" or "Open Selected Files in TextEdit".

Attached Files:

6. Ykickamookow thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...that was so simple.

I was so near, yet so far!

Thanks again

7. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

There is no need to create an alias, just drag the file to the notes section of the address book and drop, it will create the path for you.