Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piscies75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
my main computer is desktop windows xp set up the router to the lan modem. trying to password protect from my g4 ibook ,( although my internet signal is pretty strong ) contacted Linkseye with no response after acknowledging my inquiry.
someone suggested:
Connect the iBook to the internet and then go to sharing in system preferences, click the internet tab, make sure airport is checked then click start. Airport options lets you make a WEP key to make the network secure.

when I tried this on my ibook it said that It could effect my isp settings and violate the lan agreement with my cable company , your thoughts please.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
What?? Please construct intelligible sentences, please.

And by Linkseye do you mean Linksys?

Are you trying to say that you bought a Linksys router and you want to put a password on it, or something totally different?

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
By default, you can type 192.168.1.1 into your browser while wired to the router and the username field can be left blank and the pass word is "admin" without quotes.

That might help?

piscies75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Linksys

hi: sorry Crazyeddie your right spelling is important. I am 55 years old, but a mac newbie, your summary of my problem is correct.
Jack Flash I did what you said on my Dell Windows xp computer , problem is I already had an Identification and a password. Now I am in violation and blocked out of the internet. How do I fix now , that please.
thanks so much

piscies75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
password

hi talked to a technician at Linksys all matters resolved. I now have a password protect on my computers

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
This is a RTFM moment

It's important to keep the user manual that comes with a router, and record in it (i suggest the inside front cover) the admin password that you use when you set the router up.

It's vital to change the administrative password on the router when setting up, or when doing a Reset, as the factory passwords are well known to hackers.

Each router brand uses a different default internal IP address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.