Linksys/Airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eranders, Sep 24, 2007.

1. eranders macrumors newbie

I've searched the archives for this, but couldn't quite find exactly what I was looking for:

I have a Linksys WRT54G that used to be wired inline from the cable to my iMacG5. Wirelessly, I was also able to use a Dell desktop elsewhere in the house using a Linksys 54G adapter for it. Except for excruciatingly slow speed on the Dell, the wireless functioned okay.

For convenience sake, I decided to swap places with the WRT54G, and hooked it up directly to the Dell. Then, I bought an Airport Extreme card and installed it in the iMac, and installed the software. The Dell works much better now, but for whatever reason, I can't get the iMac to see the network - though it WILL (I guess) connect directly to the Dell (status says: computer to computer). I've played around with the configs on the router several times, but can't seem to get the iMac on the internet.

What am I doing wrong here?

2. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

3. eranders thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried both disable (which was recommended) and enable - doesn't seem to make a difference.

4. RiverFox macrumors member

RiverFox

I have the same router. SSID on and the Mac Mini sees it. SSID off and it gets pissy... In any event, it won't connect to it, either by air or Ether...

I read somewhere, this is a common complaint... Wonder if there is a fix for it, since the other 3 other non-Apple machines see it fine and I refuse to get a new one, because one has an issue with it.

I have it [Mac] connected to the Vonage router (Motorola brand) via Ether, and it works fine.

5. eranders thread starter macrumors newbie

Update!

Okay, I found a post by someone on another group that suggested the antenna may not be fully seated in the AEx card. Viola! That's exactly what it was. I took the card out and was able to push the antenna connector in further than I could while the card was in the slot. Whew, who'd have thought it would be a simple fix like that.