Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladybirdflu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Okay. So I bought the Linksys WRT54G wireless router. And I, being the industrious person I am, looked up instructions online (since none are provided). Set it up. And it wasn't working.

Called Linksys. Updated the firmware, reset, and in the end, the problem seems to be WEP. I can run WPA, no problem! But I try setting up WEP, insert the key, and get an "error connecting" message and no internet (even though I have bars). Right now, I'm just using WPA, since it's a better protocol anyhow.

Linksys guy, who said straight out that he knew nothing about macs, told me that I "have to remove my apple talk machine from my laptop." Less than helpful, that.

But here's the thing: have two friends with older iMacs who use the internet at my apartment. And their laptops can't hook up through WPA (don't know why-might need to reconfigure their computers? Modems might not support WPA? Is that possible?)

Any thoughts on why WEP refuses to work? Or on how I can get the iMACs up and running with WPA?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I have 2 powerbooks and a Powermac G5 hooked to wireless internet through WEP.

Don't know what your problems are. try doing everything over again.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
yeah, you do need a $ sign in front of the key number, but I also had to do something else. I had to call support and he led me to change the connection type to hex-something. If you continue having trouble, call support and lead them in that direction.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
My iBook G3 300 works fine with WPA (running panther).
Just make sure they have the lastest airport upgrades.

Or you could remove the appletalk machine from your computer :rolleyes:

EDIT: use the $ like kingjr3 said, i used it on my iBook before the upgrades. It should work indeed

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
ladybirdflu said:
Okay. So I bought the Linksys WRT54G wireless router. And I, being the industrious person I am, looked up instructions online (since none are provided). Set it up. And it wasn't working.

Called Linksys. Updated the firmware, reset, and in the end, the problem seems to be WEP. I can run WPA, no problem! But I try setting up WEP, insert the key, and get an "error connecting" message and no internet (even though I have bars). Right now, I'm just using WPA, since it's a better protocol anyhow.

Linksys guy, who said straight out that he knew nothing about macs, told me that I "have to remove my apple talk machine from my laptop." Less than helpful, that.

But here's the thing: have two friends with older iMacs who use the internet at my apartment. And their laptops can't hook up through WPA (don't know why-might need to reconfigure their computers? Modems might not support WPA? Is that possible?)

Any thoughts on why WEP refuses to work? Or on how I can get the iMACs up and running with WPA?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same trouble with WEP and my PowerBook, so I'm using WPA too.
I'll be interested in any responses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.