Linksys EF3124 Ethernet Switch - using the rack to connect two computers to LAN

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 7on, Dec 28, 2007.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have in my possession a Linksys Ethernet Switch and was wondering if there was a way to split a corporate lan environment connection between my work desktop and my laptop? My laptop works plugged in, however, my work recently hired a new person and she "stole" my extra ethernet port (cubicles). Anyhoo, I have no idea how switches work - I'm thinking they're similar to an Ethernet Hub and can be used the same way. Thanks!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

An ethernet switch is basically an intelligent hub. Yes, you can use a switch in a regular network port to split the connection, but check with your systems admin before you do so, as he'll want to know (or at least he should) what is being plugged into the network and why.

For what it's worth I'm in the same boat and am using a Linksys switch as my office doesn't have enough ports for the amount of gear I need - I am, however, the systems admin, so didn't need to ask permission ;)

3. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

True.

Good news is that it works! I salvaged it from the trash/recycling at my old hs when I went to visit the parents over xmas. Some ports don't seem to work, but all I need are three and I found a set that light up and give me signal :)

4. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

...and people wonder why us IT guys are so grumpy.

5. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

Haha, no it's fine. The IT and I are buds.