Linksys G router?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seablue, Dec 25, 2008.

1. seablue macrumors regular

How long do these routers usually last for? I've had mine for less than a year and I believe it died today. For the pasta few days I've had to unplug and plug back in to get a connection and today - nothing.
    I tried resetting still nothing.

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I seen them last for a while. Did you mod it?

3. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

4. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Install custom firmware like DD-WRT. I am going to assume you didn't.

5. seablue thread starter macrumors regular

It's been so long ago when I set it up - I really couldn't say for sure. Probably not. Why? I did put in my own password

6. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Just asking cause some people overclocked their Linksys router.

But to answer your question, they do last a while and work the best. Maybe your one of the few that got a crapy one that died. They only cost $50 so go get another one and good luck on this one lasting longer then one year.

7. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

Take a look at your router's config page to see what firmware it is using (usually 192.168.1.1, or go to System Preferences --> Network --> Ethernet [if using wired, and the address beside Router] or Airport --> Advanced --> TCP/IP and the address beside Router). If using DD-WRT, you will see the logo immediately. If using something like HyperWRT, on the top right of the page it should say "Firmware Version: v4.71.1, Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c ", for example. If it doesn't say that, you probably have the original firmware (and I'm going to assume you do).

I've had my Linksys WRT54GL since June 2007 and it works great, although occasionally I have to power cycle it. Nevertheless, this is one of the best consumer routers available and should last quite a while.