Linksys Router, how to lock connection from macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajohnson253, Oct 9, 2009.

1. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I know that subject looks confusing but what I meant was, is there a way that I can lock the linksys Wireless connection from my MBP?
    It's been an open connection so users or neighbors around me can use my connection and it seems to be slowing my connection down.
    I was looking at how I could secure my connection through my computer?

All help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You should just follow the instructions provided with the router -- it's the same on a Mac or a PC. Most routers have a setting where you can "connect" to it to change its options. To get there, you usually have to do so via Safari. Try opening Safari (or Firefox) and type in 192.168.1.1 into the address bar. If it works, it'll probably ask you for a username and password. If you've never set a username or password, it's probably just "admin" for both.

From there, you should be able to make changes.

3. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I typed that into the address bar and I got asked for username and password, admin didn't work. I still cannot find a place to put in a username and password.

I do not have the packet that came with the router sadly.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you got asked for the username and password, then you're on the right track. But if that information has been changed, you're probably out of luck. The default for most Linksys routers are...

Username: admin
    Password: admin

You may also want to try leaving the password blank, see if that works. Some routers have a reset button on the back, where holding it in for 5-10 seconds will put it back to default settings, so that you can enter "admin" and have it work.

5. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

First question, is the router ADSL or Cable? Bear in mind if it is ADSL and you reset the router you will have to reprogram the built in modem for your ISP. If it's cable then it'll be safe to reset without that headache.

I have a Linksys cable modem and the username field is left blank and password is admin by default. You could try that.

This is a good site and has some useful virtual screens for router config pages: http://www.tastybread.co.uk/

If you do manage to get into it I'd recommend using WPA2 for security, WEP is pants and easily hacked. Also Use Mac Address Filtering, add your MAC Address (System Preferences> Network> Advanced and it'll be listed as the Airport ID), and set it to allow only. Finally if you're the only one using it then set the number of DHCP clients to 1. That should make it secure enough.

6. ajohnson253 thread starter macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

it's cable. It's seems like nothing is working at all.
    WOW.
    Doing everything I can by reading your guys replies I appreciate the help. None of these are working though :(

7. srexy macrumors 6502a

So you can get to a login screen?

Google "linksys xxyyx (your model number) default password" and find out what the default password is for that model. If that doesn't let you in, google "linksys xxyx (your model number) hard reset" or "linksys xxyx (your model number) reset to default" and find out what the procedure is to reset to factory defaults at which point your router SHOULD now accept the default passwords. Bear in mind that you'll have to be using an ethernet cable after the reset.

Try using Firefox vs Safari - the web based management console is more likely compatible w/Firefox.