Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
I did a search around here and saw that many people use linsys wireless routers. So I got a WRT54GS yesterday.

Since theres no Mac install disk. I call and go throught the automated setup menu on the phone. I restart but I have no connection (and, mind you, I'm still connected to the wireless via cable as per setup instructions....no mention of disconnecting this cable)

So I talk to a live tech person. They insist that Macs aren't officially supported and that I'd need to borrow an XP computer so they can configure it.
But they do have a firmare updater to address some mac problems with the router.

Then, he shows me where to find some answers about mac os on the linksys support area. There I find this whole thing about configuring my network manually to work with the router. I'm going to attempt that now.

So what the hell is going on. He tells me that theres absolutely no way I can set it up with out using an PC and if I do the firmware update I'm going to fry something. ????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Linsys users.....Does this router work or not? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks!

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
the whole thing is configured via a browser so i have no idea what he is talking about, i did it with safari just fine. one thing of note is that i did have to use a "$" as the first character of my password to use the encryption. so my password is $something

MacUserSince87

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
Northern Virginia, USA
Here are some tips..

Look in the DOC folder on the installation CD and you will find the User Manual in PDF format. It will give you the information you need to set it up manually via Safari. In my file the instructions are in Chapter 6, page 32

With your Mac connected to the router via cable simply enter http://192.168.1.1/ into the address field. Leave the user name blank and enter the default password "admin". You'll want to change that once you get things up and running.

That gets you into the admin screen. Just tab through the menus. The rest of the instructions in the manual are pretty clear and set-up is straight forward. Also check your DSL / Cable provider site for FAQ / Help files. It's a very common router so you can probably find some specific to your provider there or with Google. That's how I got it figured out when setting it up.

One thing you may or may not be aware of is the fact you may need to also reconfigure your cable / dsl box as a bridge. I have Verizon DSL and they provided a Westell 6100 which functions as both DSL modem and router. It was necessary to reconfigure it as a bridge so the LinkSys would handle the DHCP. It was also necessary to clone the MAC address of the Westell on LinkSys so Verizon would recognize it.

Hope the above helps.

Chuck Gardner

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.