Linksys USB Wireless N adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Absberg2k, May 26, 2008.

1. Absberg2k macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the Linksys Ultra Rangeplus Dual Band Wireless N USB adapter can be used with a Mac (mac mini to be specific)? Linksys says Windows XP or Vista is required but I wondered if it would work with OS X anyway?

I don't see many 5G USB adapters made specifically for Macs (if any).

The Linksys is on sale at Best Buy this week.

2. Absberg2k thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the answer to my own question on Linksys's website. It apparently cannot be done as they don't offer any Mac drivers. Seems foolish to me but perhaps Apple won't authorize it.

I am now guessing that a good solution would be to use the Airport Express and set it up as a remote or relay and then connect my Mac Mini with an ethernet cable from the APE to the Mac Mini.

Can someone confirm for me that this will work? I've read the literature on Apple's website and it sounds like it will work.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I just figure out how to do it myself. It'll probably be quick if you already have a Airport Extreme/Time Capsule; if you don't prepare for a surprise; and set it as a remote.

Took me a while. Of course I also have very complex arrangement, but this will get the job done.