Linksys vs Airport?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gean, Nov 20, 2008.

1. gean macrumors member

I have two computers a 2 year old winxp unit, and an Imac since April 08. Which has become my wife and i main unit....but i still need the xp unit for some thing on web that wife has to do. I have a couple questions?

First i just switched from dsl to rr internet. I have the linksys working with both units. (took me about 2 months to get linksys working with both) After the switch i tired to get imac and xp to use rr with linksys, i reset routher and it worked when both units were in front of me.....as soon as i moved xp back to other desk it quit working. imac also, but i got it back woking by disconnection linksys from rr. Imac uses 'dhcp'.

My question is i would like to be able to print from both units which i have to move the cord from one unit to the other. I read that with airport that i can run hard drive or print wireless from two units. How much a problem is it to set up both units with airport, and can i print from poth units from airport. Note my printer is a Canon ip4200.

Hope to add and itouch 2g around Christmas. Which will be used when in living room and to carry, Other wise imac will be primary. Will this give me wireless n the majority of the time?

Sorry for long post, and that to all who reply.

gean :confused:

2. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

If you have your printer connected to your Apple Base Station, you can print from as many computers as you like provided they are within your wireless network range.

I use an Airport Extreme and print remotely from my Mac and PC.

3. Dammage macrumors newbie

I have a Time Machine and it's amazingly easy to setup. I can imagine the airport extreme and express are just as easy to setup.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have a Linksys router connected to DSL, an HP printer, a Buffalo NAS, an iMac, a MacBook, 2 PC desktops, and a PC laptop. Any of the computers can print to the printer or access the NAS.

I can't speak for Airport, but a Linksys can do the job.

5. clarksonknight macrumors regular

You won't be getting wireless N speeds when your iPod Touch is connected via wireless, but other than that you should be fine.