Linksys WRT160N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bigboy99, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

Just got this router. The wireless is superfast - 25-30Mps. The ethernet used to work as fast (both still ping identically), but now the wireless loads pages many seconds faster than the hard wire. Don't know what happened, maybe I changed a setting, but since both ping the same I can't figure out what to check next.

2. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

is this on the same mac?

I am using a WRT610N but im sure its pretty similar to the 160N as far as normal settings goes.

I would reset the router back to factory settings and see if that fixes it since the router is new you probably dont have many settings saved yet.

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, a late model MacBook Pro. I haven't reset yet because the ping numbers are identical using wireless or ethernet. I'll save the current config and reset the router. I'm still within 30 days so if that doesn't work it goes back to Best Buy for another one.

4. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did a firmware upgrade and the ethernet now outperforms the wireless (29 v 23 mps.) Odd that it would work okay and then suddenly take a dump, though.

5. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Final installment. The firmware upgrade did not fix the ethernet issue. Best Buy refunded the full price (even without the box or install CD.) My D-Link 625 is back up and running at 28/15mps (ethernet/wireless), and I'll start shopping again next month. Maybe there will be a better replacement by then.