Linksys WRT300N

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noodle654, Mar 2, 2008.

1. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hi there,

I have a Linksys WRT300N v1 router and I keep dropping connection on MBP in my room. My MacBook can still stay on though along with all my computers. However, when I move in range I have solid connection and plenty of speed. My question is how can I expand my range and speed in my room without moving the router. What should I be using?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You should be using something other than an MBP. Every MBP I've had has crap wireless.

You can stick a wireless range extender in the middle, but as far as I'm aware all extenders available for sane prices are 802.11g.

3. Modjo macrumors member

MBP here, no wireless problems. My wife has one too, works flawless.
    Several friends with MBP's no problems. ...
    Kinda silly to recommend someone to stop using his Pro machine, because it doesn't play well with wifi.

Do you have any other routers to test with? Or a friend/neighbour who's router you could use to test. If this keeps happening, return it to the shop ...
    I've got a WRT150N here (DDWRT) and it works extremely well.

You might wanna turn 802.11n off altogether. There are some issues with that stuff and MBP's. If you don't need the range (speed) of N, stick with G.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I suppose it depends on your definition of silly. Using a combo of hardware and operating system that's particularly bad for wireless right now, and has been quite bad for a while.

If you must, I've suggested the extender - which will rebroadcast a G signal in any case. If only I could be convinced that would actually solve the issue.