Linksys WRT54G / Router Help Needed Please Read!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

So I just bought a Linksys WRT54GL router and I need to make it a Wireless Access point instead of a a router. I've a standard ethernet router connected to my Modem and now a Linksys WRT54G router in my room which is connected to the router in my living room. Is there anyway I can configure it to act as a Hub / Wireless Access Point so that I can use four of the ports in the back of the router instead of only one in my room and at the same time have wireless access?

Here's my connection,
    Modem > Router (Wired) > LinksysWRT54G (how to extend my connections in my room?)

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You could just use it as designed, and plug the connection coming into your room into the WAN port on the Linksys. Then you get four ports and wireless, all with internet. What's the difficulty here?

This will create a separate network though, and if someone connected to the primary router needs to directly connect to any of your computers they won't be able to unless you forward ports through the Linksys. You could set it up in a slightly different way so that it all remains on the same network, but let's not get into that unless you confirm that is what you need.

3. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I tried connecting the output of my first router into the WAN of my Linksys WRT54G and then from one of the LANs of the Linksys WRT54G to my MacBook but I don't get any internet connection. I think i need to configure something in order for it to act as a wireless access point. Maybe disabling the DHCP or something but do I need to change the routers IP or set up a static or something? I tried googling but no luck with that yet. Please advise.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

5. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Yeah. Airport is turned off as I'm testing my wired connections as I'll need to use it for my 360 and PS3. The guide given is good but I'm sort of confused as it says that two routers doesn't have internet connection? I know for sure I'll have to disable DHCP but what's the top option I've to do? PPoPE / LTP / DHCP / Static IP? I'm leaning towards Static IP but not sure what kind of IP I should put in there. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

6. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I can't do WDS as one of my routers is wired and the other one is Wireless. I just want my wireless router to act as an Access Point / Switch rather than using it's routing capabilities.

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Mah bad.. I interperted your original post as you had two WRT54GL routers.

The same principals should still apply though, even though your not doing it wirelessly. Actually, that first link i posted has the directions for this scenereo (No WDS).

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Turn off DHCP on the Linksys, then connect an ethernet cable from a LAN port on your other router to one of the LAN ports on the linksys (note, not the WAN port)

Now, you should be able to connect to your network either via the other LAN ports on the linksys or via the wireless on the linksys.

9. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I tried Router 1 (LAN) to Router 2 (LAN) and Wired connections worked but that's not the case with Wireless. I don't get any Wireless Connections at all when I do that, so that's why I thought I might have to get into it and configure it in order for Wireless to work and the only way I can think if is Router 1 (LAN) to Router 2 (WAN). Please advise.

10. Roric macrumors regular

Assuming you do not need to be able to connect to anything on router 1's network, give this a try...

1. Connect your computer to a LAN port on router 2. Do not connect the router's WAN to anything yet.
    2. Go to http://192.168.1.1.
    3. Configure router 2 to use the IP subnet 192.168.2.x.
    4. The router will reboot and you need to reconnect to the config page by going to http://192.168.2.1.
    5. Now configure the wireless. Wireless is disabled by default out of the box.
    6. Now connect a router 1 LAN to router 2 WAN.
    7. You may need to reboot router 2 and renew DHCP on your computer.

If you need/want access to router 1's network, and do not need all 4 LAN ports on router 2...
    1. & 2. Same as above.
    3. Turn off DHCP.
    4. Configure wireless.
    5. Connect router 1 LAN to router 2 LAN.
    6. Same as #7 above.

11. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Thanks for all the replies. Got back home today and changed the Router's IP to 192.168.2.1 and it works without any other tweaks so problem solved. Thanks all.