Linksys WRT54G Security Setup Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Charlie-Burt, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Charlie-Burt macrumors newbie

I have an old Linksys WRT54G wireless router that has never been secured. I just noticed about 4-5 people in my neighborhood are connecting off me.

At the present I have my imac and two laptop pc's running wireless connections on the Linksys.

I need to setup a secure network and don't know where to start. I don't want to fool around and lose my internet connection in the process.

Do I have to do anything different for the mac and pc's to get everything working together. Linksys instructions are confusing to say the least.

tks

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I set my the wireless restriction up by only allowing certain Mac address and also not allowing wifi connections to modify the router settings

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to get into the Linksys control panel. Plug your computer into the router directly, type "192.168.1.1" into your address bar, and a login box should display. The username/password is usually either "blank" / admin or admin/admin.

4. Charlie-Burt thread starter macrumors newbie

If I can setup a secure network, will I have to login on my mac and pc's each time I connect to the net...and do I have to change any other setting on my mac and pc's once a secure network has been setup?

I know, I got a bunch of un-informed questions...

5. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. Open your Mac and log in.

2. On the Mac open System Preferences->Network pane and get the router IP and remember it.

3. Open your browser of choice and in the address bar of the the browser put the router IP that you remembered and hit the return button.

4. If you never been in the router a pop-down will as for a username/password. Read this blog to see the answer to how to log into your router for the first time.

5. Make sure you set you own username/password and remember to save that router web page in your browser favorites. Then you go through the router to set wireless security.

Just remember what frequencies this router blasts out (a, b, g ,n) compared what security your network devices (that hang of the router wireless signal network) can receive.

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll be prompted for a password the first time you connect, but you'll have the option to save the password or remember the connection so you don't have to enter it every time.

a, b, g, and n are not frequencies, they're revisions of the 802.11 protocol.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I know that. I am trying to explain it as plainly as possible. You are being very nerdy right now.

8. Charlie-Burt thread starter macrumors newbie

k, I get AirPort is connected to linksys and has the IP address 192.168.2.101.
    opened new window, put in address but it wont connect.

I can connect to Linksys using my local ip address...why can't I just use this ip address?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, but what you said is not only incorrect, it's misleading. "I'm looking for a device that works on frequency "a" ." :confused: