Linksys WRT54G v7 vs D Link Di 624

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

OK Now I am kinda confused. I have constantly heard that the Linksys is much better as Linksys has a reputation. On the other hand the D Link is easier to use.

I have a 512 kBits/sec connection. I will use one desktop via Ethernet and a laptop and phone via wifi. Apart from this I might use one or two extra computers occasionally.

The WRT54G v7 does not support 3rd party firmware. Is that a problem with bittorrent?

I want the router to reach almost everywhere in my house. Basicaly go thru two concrete walls, maybe more but not too far off. I will not be transferring files over the network so throughput wouldnt be a big problem.

I will be using bittorrent so I dont want the NAT tables to go full. But as I have a 512 kbit connection maybe that wont be a big problem.

Can someone help me decide. I cant get the WRTR54GL but I CAN get the WRT54GS.

2. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I previously had the linksys model that you are looking at. I had no trouble using bittorrent with it. Before getting my Airport Extreme I had always had a linksys so I can say I was happy with it. I changed to the extreme because my new blackbooks used "N" so I felt it was time to upgrade.:apple:

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Range?

I want a long range and dont mind low throughtput for it. So which router is going to be ebtter in my casE?

4. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I am in a 3 level townhouse and I didn't have any dead zones with the linksys I was even able to be out on the balcony which is on the other side of the house from the router and I had full level in the macbook.

5. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Umm hmmm

So u r satisfied with the range of the Linksys. And is it a WRT54G VErsion 7? Does the version 7 have any problems with bittorrent?

The Dlink is known for its long range. If I have problems with range, I plan to put in hi gain antennas. But for the Linksys they cost too much.

Because of this I still cant decide between the two.:confused:

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I have the Linksys and its range is great- my house is roughly 4000sq ft and its located in the basement. I get wireless signal everywhere in the house and on the deck outside.

I am having issues with the internet cutting out though- both wired and wireless networking connected to the Linksys router. I don't know if it is the router, the router's firmware, the ISP, the cable modem, or what but its a huge hassle. You have to go all the way downstairs and reset the router.

Everyone i know in the networking business recommends Linksys.

I might also looking into Belkin, I believe they have a lifetime guaranty on their products.

7. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hhmmm

Well my guess is tht ur router messes up because of the nat tables filling up with too many connections. cant u go to the routers config or something from ur browser and do it? i can with my current crappy router. thanks for the fedback.