Linksys WRT54G w/Airport Express, extending network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alecmcmahon, Mar 4, 2009.

1. alecmcmahon macrumors regular

i have a Linksys WRT54G, and an airport express.

basically what im trying to do is get internet on a emac i have on the otherside of the house via the house wireless.

i have the emac pluged into the express via ethernet, putzed around with it a while but cant get it working,

any advice on how to get this cooking ?

thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You need to set you Airport Express as a client. Consult this KB article for instructions:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731

The important thing is you must actually have reception for this to work.

3. alecmcmahon thread starter macrumors regular

i followed these directions, still does not work.

the emac doesnt even recongize the ethernet being plugged , when its hooked up to the AEX ( lines are good, when i hook it up to my hub, it works fine )

is there a compatiblity problem with the linksys and AEX?

4. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

Question: Can AirPort Express wirelessly extend ("repeat" or "rebroadcast") the network of a third-party access point?

Answer: No. But it can wirelessly extend the range of a WDS network that is being hosted by an AirPort Extreme Base Station or another AirPort Express.

from the website.

You have a more complicated option that involves updating firmware on the WRT54G to become a wireless repeater.

I did this with a WRT610N as my primarily router and a WRT54G with DDWRT as my secondary router. It should work with aex as well as I did not touch the WRT610N.

here is a link once you get up DD-WRT on the Linksys:

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3655041

Note: this does void warranty on the linksys and it is requires some know how to update the firmware to DDWRT.

5. alecmcmahon thread starter macrumors regular

sounds like a real pain.

would i have been better off with an airport extreme card for the emac?

how do i tell if it's a regular airport card, or takes the extreme?

- alec

6. phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

Look up your machine's original specs on the Apple website (under support) or some place like Everymac.

As for your original question, the Express can be used to extend a wireless network provided you have the correct model/firmwared/setup "base station," but I don't believe you can then access that network via the Ethernet port. I believe that port is basically only used for sharing a connection up (e.g., using your Express as an access point for a DSL/cable modem/wired network), not down.