linksys wrt610n v2 dd-wrt to work like time capsule ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by UKBeast, Aug 19, 2012.

1. UKBeast macrumors 6502

I have got Linksyste wrt610nv2 dd-wrt firmware installed router, can i make it work like Time Capsule I can have my time machine backups on there and keep some media files ?

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I think the issue will be whether you can format the drive as HFS+ and still have the router see it. I also think HFS+ is required for TM. For storing files other than via TM you should be able to get it running but I'm unfamiliar with that model; check their support.

3. UKBeast thread starter macrumors 6502

It does do samba, ftp, mini dlna, upnpshare when attached hard drive is formatted fat32, ext2 but not sure about hfs.

time capsule is expensive i am looking for a solution over dd-wrt

4. UKBeast thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone really know about my question ?

need urgent help.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

To do a Time Machine backup to a networked drive like this the router will need to support AFP. I did a quick search on dd-wrt with AFP and there is quite a bit of discussion on the topic. It looks like maybe there is a patch to add AFP to dd-wrt?

6. NumNumNum macrumors member

I'm interested in this question too. I've just bought an ASUS RT N16 and flashed with dd wrt to make a repeater bridge. Now I'd like to run my time machine back ups and set up a wireless print server in my network but don't know where to begin.

There are heaps of forums, but there are also so many builds and additions to dd wrt, its impossible to know what information is up to date. Often you see someone write some kind of code to fix something, but you'd assume that these fixes get adopted in later builds of dd wrt.

If anyone has succeeded in what the OP is asking, It'd be great if you could provide a reference for a current and proven solution.