Linksys WRVS4400N VPN and Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by RoboCop001, Sep 15, 2009.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Hey everyone.

We've got a VPN at the office and have had no luck connecting any of the Macs to it.

After searching around, it seems as though the Linksys WRVS4400N just isn't Mac friendly, but I did read some people getting it to work.

There was a program they recommended (I forget the name but it had a blue icon that looked like a pipe with something going through it) but it didn't work either.

There must be something I'm missing here (besides, maybe, a Mac friendly router).

Has anyone successfully configured VPN on their Mac to connect to a WRVS4400N VPN?

Also, when I try to add the certificate to my keychain, it does not show up under the VPN system preferences network connection setup. A message comes up that says "You have no machine certificates available."

Any ideas? Or is it totally hopeless?
    Maybe I'll just use Parallels.

2. corbywan macrumors regular

I ran into the same thing. I was very bummed.

The software you are looking for is IPSecuritas. http://www.lobotomo.com/products/IPSecuritas/

I did get it working once, and it took much fighting and much googling. I couldn't tell you now how I did it, though I think I did post somewhere how I did it a few years ago. I think I posted on one of the linksys forums, or maybe here as well.

3. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah yes, that's the software I was trying to remember.

I had no luck with that, and the IT guy didn't seem to know what to do either.

But if you had success with it, I should just keep going at it.

Do you remember if you used a "shared secret" (that's what Apple calls it, I forget what it's called in IPSecuritas) or a certificate?

I'm gonna keep Googling.

I also remember finding a Linksys forum post with someone detailing how they accomplished it, but didn't seem to work for me.

But there's hope! haha.

4. corbywan macrumors regular

It seems to me that the trouble was on the router end of things as far as configuration goes. I tried to follow the Windows directions in terms of setting up the accounts, as if there was a client to configure on the Mac that matched an account in the router. That never worked. (This is from memory, sorry.) There was some other sub-panel to configure, as though you were setting up a static link between two routers, but in this case on was the Mac using that software. It was in that other area that I found success.

5. corbywan macrumors regular

I found this entry on this website. http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=79087

Also, head over to http://www.lobotomo.com/Forum Archive/IPSecuritas Forum.pdf and search the text for "corby" and you will see some of what I discovered to be helpful.

6. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome!

Thanks! I'm going to try this out as soon as I get the chance.

I'll let you know if it ends up working or not.

Thanks again for your help!

7. ParallelsHQ macrumors newbie

Hello! I am from Parallels and you should definitely try it out. Here is a cool article: http://www.macessence.com/?p=745. If you have any other questions, feel free to respond back!

8. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi there!

Oh yes I already have Parallels, and I can definitely use it for VPN stuff.

But I'd rather have native Mac VPN if i can :)

However using a virtual machine is definitely the next option if I can't get this IP Securitas to work.

Damn you Linksys! [shakes fist]

9. belvdr macrumors 603

So what is the VPN client you normally use? Cisco, Nortel, Check Point?