Linksys?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chris200x9, Aug 20, 2007.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

Hi I just got comcast will I have any problem using my macbook wirelessly through a linksys wireless router?

By the way for my PC only IE works every other browsers cannot find connection if you know how to reslove this please let me know. If not no big deal.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

My experiences with Linksys routers is very disappointing, one I usually have to reset a few times a day, but occasionally it behaves. It'll do you fine, don't worry about it.

3. uMac macrumors 6502

I have to reset mine (pull out the power and plug it back in) about once a week.:(

4. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

the new ones are terrible, I don't know what's going on in Cisco land, but the newest versions are bad. The older models are by far better.

5. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I have to reset my Linksys every once and a while, but I have no major complaints. It really easy to have my AirPort Express join the Linksys router and sync with my current network.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

My router works fine for me. Just make sure you follow these instructions. Just use WPA2 security instead.

7. macfanmac macrumors newbie

Could'nt agree U more!!! intermitent connection within every few minutes. Cannot connected to internet very frequent (but status from router page, say all fine!-obtain an IP from ISP). Have to restore to factory default before function again. Restore backup config not fucntioning.
    Eventually, I turned off the wirless function and use wired connection.
    I can see the point of using wirelss router from linksys-cisco!

8. bartelby macrumors Core

My V2.2 WRT45G (if that code is right) hasn't been reset, nor has it given me any trouble, in 3 years or so.

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

A big thing is making sure you don't have a 2.4 GHz phone interfering with your signal. Either that or a microwave or other electrical appliance. Make sure you have the proper settings in place in terms of security and changing the frequency from 6 to either 11 (I think it's the best) or 1.

10. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I have the WRT54GS (Pretty much the same thing).

And it is pretty much trouble free.

I have probably reset is a total of 2-3 times (Because of big power surges or something)

I have owned it for over 4 years... Terrific router!

11. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I am an involuntary* Comcast customer. So yes, Macs work just fine with Comcast.

Regarding the (totally separate) Linksys issue, well...

In the years prior to Cisco's purchase -- and then eventual degredation -- of Linksys' line of wireless routers, they were one of the best pieces of equipment you could buy. They retained this status through the first three or so iterations of their G-class router. They then switched to a different firmware (VxWorks) and drastically scaled back on on-board RAM. They also speed-bumped the CPU. All these things (plus the fact that Cisco/Linksys is producing much higher-volume numbers of these things than they used to -- or that Linksys ever did) are contributing factors to the decline in product quality, equipment longevity, and even serviceability.

This really isn't totally the time and place to get into it fully, and it has been discussed before here at MacRumors.com, but one of the things I recommend to people with Linksys WRT54G and WRT54GS series routers is to investigate the open source-produced replacement firmware for your routers. They are, respectively, the OpenWRT Project and the DD-WRT Project. Now, I won't lie to you: of the two, my own personal preference is DD-WRT, but do your own investigation and decide which is best for your own needs.

* I was a Time-Warner (a.k.a. "RoadRunner") customer until Comcast swapped territories with them. In order to keep and have cable and cable modem service, I have little choice but to use Comcast.

12. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I have used a WRT54G and a WRT54GL, and I can say that the GL works a lot better. I haven't had a problem with it in 1.5 years.

As long as it has an Ethernet port it should work just fine.

13. Buttercookie macrumors member

I've had the same experience, but my brother in law bought one of the newer ones and claims he must restart it daily. Quality assurance must be lacking at Cisco.

14. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

I use a 3-month old WRT350N. Other than user error, it has run flawlessly for those 3 months. No resets necessary.

15. supersize macrumors member

I just finally got rid of my linksys wrt54g router (firmware V8) because it would drop it's connection and need to be reset several times a day and made it unusable. I bought a Belkin router and it works great no drops or connection problems at all. although it's only beed 2 days now but I'm impressed so far.

16. hidehide macrumors 6502

I owned a WRT54GS b4. It works great in the first 10 months, I only restarted the router like 2-3 times. Then it turns bad, I have to restart it for 2-3 times a day, then more frequently.. like every hour.. so I have to buy a new one..
    I heard the WRT54GL is good.. and you can also put DD-WRT on it... which is a great firmware..
    I tried the netgear wireless-n router.. I have to restart it every few days..
    Then I tried the Belkin wireless-n.. it doesnt drop the internet connection.. but for some reason, my macbook's wireless connection to it always hang.. it just stops responding, but airport shows im still be connected.. sometimes after 1-2 minute, it works back on, sometimes i have to off and on the airport.
    Im planning to see what router should i get now.. maybe an AEBS..

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Stay far away from Lynksys routers. I own the WRT54G and it drops the connection far too often.

Install dd-wrt? Good luck... it turned one of mine into a brick and I am to fearful of trying to kill my other.