Linkysy router "speedbooster"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by combatcolin, May 1, 2007.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Speedbooster 'g' routers need Speedbooster 'g' NICs to achieve that higher speed.

So if you buy a SB router but are using the same NIC (which doesn't have SB), you won't see any difference in speed between a non-SB 'g' router and a SB 'g' router. Also, Speedbooster won't make a 'b' card operate at a higher speed either.

I don't see a use for these, to be truthful. If you want to transfer stuff faster than 54mb (which is the 'g' speed, obviously), plug in a wire and do 100mb. Speedbooster gets you close without the wire, but the hardware is more expensive (both the routers and the NICs). :confused:

3. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

PC wired upstairs for now, downstairs in office when office completed.

360 and/or Wii wireless in living room if and when i buy.

Wireless laptop eventually.

Not rushed to buy, just exploring options, :)

What happens when you have a PC (wired 100bt) and console/laptop (Wireless G) connected to the same wireless 10/100 G router?

What speed would they run at?

Many Thanks.

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

No prob :)

I have a WRT54G router myself.
    2 Wired connections (XP PC + Xbox 360)
    1 wireless (Wii primarily, DS if I want but not usually)

Seems like the 10/100 runs at 10/100 and the wireless runs at 802.11g speed which is 54mb (wired running at 100mb obviously).

Even with the PC + wireless going at the same time, I've never had any collision problems or issues while running wired + wireless in tandem.

I prefer Linksys products. :)
    Netgear I have bad experience with but other people swear by them.
    But avoid D-Link at all costs...trust me. :D

Again, the speedbooster thing would be nice if you have to have wireless and do a lot of network file transferring. Again though - the only problem is you have to have matching hardware (router and network cards that support it). With most broadband being no faster than 802.11b (11mb? or is it 10mb?), a lot of the 'g' speed goes wasted unless you do network file transfers a lot.

Only thing to keep in mind with wireless...it interferes with 2.4ghz cordless phones. Around the time I got the WRT54G, we needed a new cordless phone anyway so we picked up a pair of 5.8ghz Uniden's. Just a heads up...;)

I've seen people say microwave ovens and other things interfere with wireless but I've never had that problem myself. :confused:

I think the WRT54GS is $10 more than the WRT54G...I initially almost did get the GS until I realized I'd have to buy a new wireless card for my laptop (which I no longer own), so I chose to go with the G instead.