Linux / 10 on Bootcamp ::: Can't install new OS

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by airman289, Jun 16, 2016.

1. airman289 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I installed Windows 10 as bootcamp. Then formatted OS X.
    Then I installed Ubuntu 14.

When I turn on the MBP, I click alt and select which drive (usb,hard drive,etc) to startup <- That is Mac's version.

I tried burning Windows and other Linux OS to a disc, and when I select to boot up from the USB from the selection menu, it just starts up the GRUB selection menu.

On the GRUB selection menu there is:
    Windows 10
    Ubuntu
    or I can press [C] to enter commond line.

I formatted usb's and used rufus onto usb sticks (windows 10/7/linux but AFTER I select the usb it just log's onto GRUB it just gives me choice of windows 10 or ubuntu

[​IMG]

this is the menu I get after selecting a usb stick at the startup selector... grub does not show any usb !!
    [​IMG]

Any time I try to boot up a install it just logs onto the GRUB menu.

how can I remove grub as default or how can I install Windows XP or 7 ontop of Windows 10

MACBOOK PRO,2011.

-------------------------------------

2. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm confused..

If you use GRUB can you boot into both 10 and Linux?

The screeny shows Apples boot option menu you aren't going to see you Linux partition there because it can only scan for apple bootable disks and that's not Linux.

I assume that you want OSX, 10, and Linux so start again this time don't use bootcamp partition all your stuff in OSX and install both Linux and Windows in EFI mode in the partitions you made. GRUB is going to kill the Windows bootloader because it can't boot from it but GRUB can boot Windows.

When you boot refind will stop the process and allow you to boot from you other partitions.