Linux binaries on MacOS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Darwin-ksh, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Darwin-ksh macrumors newbie

I need to know if there is some way to run binaries compiled for linux to run on MacOS X. Sort like how the FreeBSD compatibility layer does it or lxrun. Okay, before you start telling me to use pkgsrc, macports, or fink let me tell you. This is not what I'm trying to do. And don't tell me to use a virtual machine. I kind of need full speed. I am asking if there is some way I can run Linux BINARIES. I know I can use a package manager or compile from source in fact I normally do. But recently I've been running into more and more closed source linux programs. Which I can't just make a few changes to the code and compile. I know I could use a decompiler, but those will give me assembler code, and truth be told, I don't know the language well enough and the amount of work I'd need to put into changing the assembler code is frankly to much for me. So any possible help would be appreciated.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. PenguinApple macrumors newbie

PenguinApple

Why not install VMware fusion or Parallels (commercial) or Virtual Box (free) and install Ubuntu (or your Linux distribution) in a virtual machine ? You can share the OSX file system with the Linux VM.
    I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed in VMware on my Macbook running side by side with OSX 10.6 and works flawlessly.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Linux binaries will NOT run under OSx without some compatibility layer. Linux uses different system calls for one thing.