Linux Debian on eMac G4 (ATI)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by drnebulous, Aug 12, 2014.

1. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

I have just installed Debian on my emac. So much faster! However, I do have some issues.
    First of all, my airport card isn't working. I'm not sure how I'd get this working? The other issue is sudo. Everytime I want to install anything by using
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install
    I get this message:

is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

I have used linux for a few years on and off, and I've never got this problem. What is going on here?

The final problem I have is the screen alignment. It is towards the left too much.

I really need to sort this out! I really need the sudo working so I can install icewm!!!

2. crammedberry macrumors regular

crammedberry

It looks like you haven't given yourself sudo capabilities, unless you do that only root has such capabilities.

This guide should help you through some of the basics and bugs/fixes, I'm linking you to the section that deals with sudo capabilities:

http://ppcluddite.blogspot.com/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-iii.html

Debian should for the most part be a breeze on that eMac, especially given the ATI card.

3. G4fanboy macrumors regular

Search on mintppc forums.

There was a error taking you out of the sudoers list on debian 7 I believe

4. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

thanks I'll look into that. I'm getting a new hard drive for it next week so at the moment I'll just experiment with everything on this old one.

5. G4TheWin macrumors member

1. Log out, and log in as root, or just use "su".
    2. Run "visudo" in the terminal.
    3. In the nano editor that pops up, go down to where it says
    "root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL".
    4. Under that, write "whateveryourusernameis ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL".
    I do recommend PPC Luddite's install guide, although Window Maker is better than Openbox+Conky, IMO.

6. drnebulous thread starter macrumors regular

drnebulous

Thanks everyone! I have just installed linux mint ppc and it works with the wireless card. I tried it at first and it installed debien, so remember to type
    Code:
    install url=mintppc.org
    at the yaboot prompt. At the moment I'm working on sorting the display out (Still a little towards the left)