Linux Distro of choice?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MeUnix, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Which Linux distro do you prefer? On my Toshiba Satellite I am running Ubuntu 12.04 and so far I really like it. The developer tools are a plus too :)

I am looking to partition my MacBook with a different Linux system and wanted some weigh-ins from other people on what they think of the different Linux distributions. Also, I really have no other experience with Linux distros other than Ubuntu.

Thanks!

2. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Been a Debian(the original father of Ubuntu) user for YEARS, but I recently looked into Arch, and I am loving it so far. I love how streamlined it is.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Slackware. It just bloody ******* works. Has been for the past 20 years.

BL.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've recently started using Elementary OS, which is a Ubuntu 12.04 derivative. It's probably the one distro I've played with (though admittedly, I haven't played with many) that addresses the usability issues I've had with Linux.

It's simple, clean, and easy to use.

...and it also apes a good bit of the look and feel from OSX. Enough you can say it's obviously inspired by, but throws in the right amount of its own thing so it doesn't feel like a straight rip off.

5. rezzo macrumors regular

rezzo

I used Debian, before Gentoo for years, before Arch Linux.... now I use Ubuntu (13.04 with Gnome 3 ppa) just for a matter of convenience with my work, but I do not like at all.

6. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

i don't always do Linux.....but when I do......i Ubuntu.....

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I use Linux mint on my older laptop. More OSX than Ubuntu

8. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Recently installed Ubunut 12.04 on a 2009MBP and cannot get the wifi to work....grrrrrr
    I'm quite novice at linux it must be said

9. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is not quite a rant but just be forewarned :)

I've been told that Mint is great, but I've been scared off when the very first question is "Cinnamon or Mate?" with no guidance over what the difference is or what I should choose as a newbie.

I've tried Debian, which lasted about ten minutes before I tried to play some music and found that the bundled player doesn't handle gapless.

I've tried Ubuntu and OpenSuse, and one of them (I don't recall which) was not able to connect to a network share. I don't remember what was wrong with the other one, except that I got frustrated there too!

The whole Linux experience has pretty much scared me off...

11. MeUnix thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the input everyone.

As of right now I am going to stick with Ubuntu 12.04, but I have been looking into giving Debian a shot.

I'll let everyone know how it goes if I decide to give Debian a shot :)

12. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Mint is easy to use and has most applications built in, so you dont have to build packages. It will load side by side for dual boot, simple easy. ...and use Cinnamon

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Arch and/or Archbang are both very good. Archbang for the less experienced Linux users.

14. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I dual boot Windows 7/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my laptop; easiest and best looking distro out of the box in my opinion. Used to only use Pardus until the distro died out.

When I had an old Desktop PC I used to run PC-BSD on it (though it's not Linux I guess). Great distro, could never get to work on newer hardware though.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've been an Ubuntu fan pretty much my whole time with Linux. However, I recently discovered a distro called Manjaro, which I think has a lot of potential. It's derived from Arch, makes an effort to be user-friendly (and has gotten much better with recent updates at that goal), and is rolling-release style. Unfortunately, support for Manjaro in virtual machines seems to be hit-or-miss. I wonder if it would work in a Boot Camp context.

16. starikarp macrumors member

I am FreeBSD user but if I decided for Linux I will install Debian or Slackware.

17. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134