Linux Distro To Boot With Aluminum Imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Christa Pho, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Christa Pho macrumors newbie

Hello All,
    I would like to ask a question concerning booting Linux via USB drive on My 20" iMac.
    I have tried Ubuntu, However there are driver issues, and I am using A Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
    What I need is a linux distro that I can run live USB, and is compatible with the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, as I have no USB mouse or keyboard available to me, and I have no intentions of getting them either.
    I would prefer not to fiddle around with drivers and such, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance.
    :)

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, now I'd be happy to be wrong, but last I'd heard, there still wasn't one that could do everything from installation to first boot off Bluetooth.

There is this information here...

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/peripherals-hardware/126054-enable-bluetooth-keyboard-boot.html

... pertaining to Arch, but following that basic idea (or perhaps the standard process in Ubuntu), you might set up Bluetooth on the live/persistent installation running in virtualization, using Parellels, VMWare, Q, etc, and then once you've added BT support, you can boot off the USB disk.

P.S. If "fiddling around with drivers" is where you tap out, you may want to seriously re-consider using Linux. What you know as the complexity level of fiddling with drivers is like the equivalent of iLife in their world. :p And I'm typing this from Ubuntu!