Linux for PPC G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by movement19, Jun 14, 2013.

1. movement19 macrumors newbie

so... i have a pretty old machine. however it's still in great condition, all parts intact. it's running 10.5.8. there are the obvious issues due to lack of support for this os and all compatible software. i also had to leave it in storage for a while. when i brought it home i had to replace my main hdd with the os and all software.

at one time i ran cubase sx3, reason and a number of plugins and softsynths with only 2g ram and little to no problems. i also used final cut pro a lot at the time with little issues other than rendering time.

now i'm stuck with an old machine, old os and no software unless of course i find what i want pirated which i prefer not to do.

that's what prompted my decision to research linux. i have watched a lot of youtube videos and read many threads about this. there are quite a few distros available for ppc. there are many people using them successfully on similar machines to mine with less ram and some with slower processors. i've even seen it done on g4's and g3's. well, i seem to be having some issues trying to install.

for startes i can't boot from a disk unless i remove my main drive with osx on it. none of the key combinations upon startup work. yes i have a wired keyboard (non apple). i've also read and seen that you can boot from a usb stick on this machine but i'm not haivng any luck with that. i'm not sure that i've created the image correctly.

i've made sure to burn the disks at the slowest speed possible as well. however, i can't be entirely sure that the iso wasn't corrupt. i tried 4 different ones at this point.

somebody please help!

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

You are going to find the pro audio / video scene very limited on Linux - especially when it comes to plugins.

Regardless, fashioning a USB should be as simple as:
    Code:
    dd if=~/path/to/installer.iso of=/dev/rdiskX bs=1M
    where X is the ID for your USB (see diskutil list to find out this number). Booting it is were it gets tricky.

Booting from USB is supported with OpenFirmware, but is a little harder than its BIOS (and EFI) brethren. See this article for the steps: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384

In all honesty though, it would be much easier to burn a CD instead.