Linux Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by firstapple, Dec 4, 2007.

1. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

Hey all,

I am interested in putting Linux on my windows vista laptop. Would this be a good idea? I am completely new to the idea of Linux, but I am sick of windows...

Are there any good guides out there on how to install Linux? (I am thinking of somehow doing a dual boot, vista and linux - but I have NO IDEA how???)

Which is the best distribution? It will be going on my laptop, I use it for school alot, as well as at home. However, I am not a huge gamer, or video editor if that matters. I am just looking for a great experience from an OS...

What are some good websites to gain information about Linux?

Any more details/tips/hints are greatly appreciated!

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

OpenSUSE is a great distro to try. It can resize your windows partition, and set your machine up for dual boot without much help from you.

I used to be a Fedora fan, but after using SUSE, I probably wouldn't go back.

3. GregE macrumors 6502

4. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

That depends on your hardware, I'd check for hardware compatibility first:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

There's a large number of distributions out there that are suitable for beginners (e.g., Ubuntu or SUSE), as long as you stay away from hardcore distributions like Gentoo (the installation process is a little bit more involved, there) you should be fine.

5. firstapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

firstapple

i looked at videos from you tube, and opensuse looks cool, at least from the videos shown. Looks like it does a lot of fun and crazy things. So I am thinking about that. Now, how do i go about installing it on my laptop? As of right now I am downloading the 10.3 iso. Is this correct?

Also, once it is downloaded I believe I have to burn it to a DVD. I have never done this before, so if anyone has any clues for this that would be great!

Also, once I have it installed, does opensuse already have all those cool features I saw on youtube, or do I have to find them online and download them?

Thanks again guys! I just want to get rid of windows, or at least rid myself my dependence on it as I don't like the user experience I get out of it...

6. Vorbis macrumors newbie

I suggest reading the install instructions from the Suse website, it should cover how to burn a bootable linux dvd, often on the support forums too.

7. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

If you want to check whether you like Linux at all, you could have a look at Knoppix first. This is a Linux distribution which can be booted from a CD/DVD without actually installing on your computer. Thus, you'd be able to check whether your hardware is compatible.