Linux live cd ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by graphiteG4, Mar 14, 2008.

1. graphiteG4 macrumors newbie

i want to start to learn how to use Linux but do not want to install it permanently. can any one recommend a good live CD/DVD thanks

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Ubuntu or Kubuntu is a good place to start. Both are made by the same group, the difference being one uses Gnome and the other uses KDE.

EDIT: I'm partial to Kubuntu which uses the KDE interface.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Another here for Ubuntu. It's probably the most user-friendly Linux experience so far. You'll likely run into problems getting Airport's wireless card to work with it, though. Don't expect your internet to work out-of-the-box without ethernet. You'll have to do some tinkering.

4. TygerMac macrumors newbie

I like Ubuntu, but PCLinuxOS is my favorite. It comes with all codecs and everything needed right out of the box. More than likely the Airport card is going to be recognized as well. Try a bunch of different ones, use VMWare or Parallels, see which one suites your needs.

EDIT: Are a lot of people dual booting with BootCamp? I wanted to do that...but wasn't sure if wireless card, iSight, etc would be recognized. Any tips?

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I've also heard the OpenSUSE (Novell spin off) and Fedora (Red Hat spin off) are nice distros to try out.