Linux, Microsoft and Sun to Discuss the Future of Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Axemantitan, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-41685-140.html

2. Kennedy macrumors member

Can't wait to see what comes of this. I've always had a soft spot for Solaris and Sun in general. Maybe Microsoft will learn a thing or two about gimmkicky packaged software.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

My bet is Apple declined due to their culture of secrecy.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree. either that, or microsoft said they wouldn't come if apple was there

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Darwin is neither secret nor insignificant. It is one of the very few certified UNIX ports and the most successful UNIX in the marketplace by far.

No one can predict the future. However we can make projections based on past history and current conditions. If there is to be a major new paradigm in computing, then it is much more likely to come from Apple than from Sun, Microsoft, or the Linux distros.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll offer door number three. If you are Apple, what is your motivation to meet with Team Irrelevant? Linux may have steadily growing market share, but Apple is the dominant growth engine in OS sales. They need to provide enough interoperability to satisfy consumers, but ultimately they're increasingly moving into the role of setting the tone of how a modern OS works, rather than sitting at a table and negotiating with Sun or MS about how it should work.