Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Hi all,

I am wanting to install Linux Mint and Windows 7 Pro on my new Retina MacBook Pro and want some advice on the best procedure for doing this to minimize any headaches. I tried to do this several times on my 2012 Mac mini, but every time either the grub boot loader messed up the Windows boot loader, or vise versa. I need a Linux install for a college course I am currently taking, and Windows 7 Pro for A+, N+ certifications I am/have taken. I have rEFIt on my system right now also to help out with the booting of the separate operating systems. Not sure if that makes things easier or worse nowadays. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I would install Windows via Bootcamp and virtualise Linux Mint in something like VMWare Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox (the last is free).
Windows could also be virtualised although anything which is graphics-intensive (like games) would perform poorly.

Partitioning for installations of both can be a serious headache and is not supported. It's also likely to lead to problems in the future even if it works initially.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
If only for a college course linux in virtual would be a better option. Its a basic delete the vm when done (much easier process than reclaiming boot camp space when done).

Also not sure of your linux skills or what class entails but vm's give you snapshotting/copying more readily . Unless practicing for say red hat testing hitting a copy/snapshot may be preferred over undoing the damage if things go awry.

If by chance you opt for a pure cli install it be even more ideal as you are going through the bootcamp motions for what can be a very small drive need. Not sure of mint's footprint but after I made a first cent os vm cli base install + some apps I saw I was giving it way to much drive space it didn't need. So a second vm was made with less space after I deleted the first one. This is easier in virtual I find.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I run W7 Pro x64 and Mint via Parallels 9 without issues. Initially I just installed W7 so that I could use it at work, but then I wanted to try out Linux and someone recommended Mint. I never run them at the same time, but I dedicate 4 cpu's and 4gb RAM.

macproredux

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2014
I don't know if minty has osprober installed installed by default but you will need that. Use bootcamp to install Windows that will simulate bios then install you distro of choice in a partition located on your Windows disk. Use refit to select your widows disk then grub to select your Linux partition. If grub is still doesn't work there is syslinux.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.