Linux on an iBook G3

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by question fear, Jun 25, 2008.

1. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I have an old iBook G3 (900mhz I think...the last of the G3 ibooks IIRC). it's sitting around collecting dust, and I was thinking about installing linux on it. It's not for any particular reason so much as for curiosity...while it's certainly not a necessary requirement for me, I do think it might be helpful to familiarize myself with linux, just for my own edification.

So my questions/thoughts are these:

1) Which PPC linux variant is good for a beginner?
    2) Once I get linux up and running, is there anything special or unique I can do with it?
    3) Are there any good books or web resources that can help get started and help me with the process?
    4) The cd drive is broken on the iBook, so i'd have to d/l the linux distro directly OR find a way to boot the iBook via firewire cd drive...any thoughts there?

If PPC linux is really underpowered and a bad idea, I am not adverse to tracking down an old windows laptop or even biting the bullet and picking up an EEE...I just figured since the hardware is the most expensive component, and I have a mostly decent computer doing nothing, it could be fun.

2. Evangelion macrumors 68040

First of all: welcome to the club :).

Well, Fedora works on PPC. Another one to consider is Yellow Dog Linux. Of the two, Fedora is more cutting edge, whereas Yellow Dog specializes on PPC.

Run a multitude of free software :). Enjoy the fact that older hardware CAN make an usable computer. Not be stuck with just one way of doing things.

The website of the distro you end up using is a logical place to start. Other site of interest might be http://tldp.org/

you might look in to installation from an USB-stick. But I haven't done it myself, so I can't really comment on it. But if you can get the machine to boot from external CD-drive, installing Linux should be easy.

it IS fun :).

3. question fear thread starter macrumors 68020

question fear

Wow, thanks for the reply!

I am planning to do it this weekend barring any other interruptions. Thanks for the suggestions, and I am getting really excited! Fun geeky summer project!

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

their are actually a lot of programs to make it easy to run linux off a USB stick like http://lifehacker.com/391067/fedora-9-puts-your-desktop-on-a-usb-drive this is what i used to run it off my USB