Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
No. Cal.
Hello,

I recently tried to install Ubuntu Linux 5.10 on a Lacie FW HD to run from my PB just for fun and curiosity. The installation went normally until I received this message: "yaboot boot loader failed". Another message said my system may be un-bootable. I tried to load the loader several more times from the install menu but received the same error.

Have I done something wrong or overlooked a step, failed to consider something critical? Is the HD not compatible with Linux, or is it not meant to be bootable? I thought a Mac could boot from any FW HD with a valid OS installed (the installation is obviously a problem). Before attempting to install I formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Link to disk that I'm trying to install to: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10383

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I'm saying this off the top of my head, so it may not be totally accurate.

I believe the boot loader must be installed onto the hard disk with a bootable partition, namely your internal hard disk. I recommend googling for this sort of thing, as I'm sure it's been done before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.