Linux on MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gadgetman99, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Gadgetman99 macrumors regular

I did a search and did not really see anything on it, but has anyone installed a linux distro on an MBA yet?

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I sure you can install a Ubuntu distro on it. It has so many common elements with the MB and MBP which run it perfectly well.

But as you probably know there is always a little fine tuning with this king of experiment. If I were you I would test it first from a bootable CDROM. Go to the Ubuntu forums as well.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

With OS X being the best user friendly *nix OS, why in the world would you wish to downgrade your Mac?

Actually curious to read your reply? Looking for free apps? Why buy a Mac then with crazy pricing?

4. Gadgetman99 thread starter macrumors regular

I am just a curious soul. I was one of those kids that took everything apart to see how it worked (and really still do). Some of the new linux distros are pretty nice, Ubuntu being one of them. As Angelo pointed out, booting from a live CD is a great way to see how it works. I forgot about that and think I have one laying around somewhere.

5. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yeah but no. Download the last one with all the new drivers etc.

And I understand why you do this. I love Linux as well because you get hands in the gears, but I hate the design of PC laptops :p

6. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Last time I tried Ubuntu 9.04, it didn't fair out so well on my MBA.

7. Gadgetman99 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you just boot off the live CD or install it to the HD or SSD? By now I am sure we all understand if it was not installed to an SSD, the likelihood of it being completely useless is pretty high :)

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

9.04 didn't work ? Try the 9.10 and the 10th is planned for April.

I love Ubuntu but maybe some other distros are more compatible... Suse ?

9. tom.96 macrumors regular

Hi - I had the same thought a while back but I use a regular Macbook. Look at Virtualbox - it allows you to use a variety of different operating systems on your machine. I have installed Ubuntu and Fedora and both work really well. If you switch to full screen mode it is just like using a linux machine.

Speed and compatibility are both good for my machine (C2D, 2ghz, 2.5gb RAM) so should hopefully be fine for yours too.

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It was booting off a live cd to be installed, that didn't go that far either.