Linux on PS3

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Oct 10, 2008.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Sorry, this has to be off topic for mac forums, but a lot of you appear to be familiar with Linux, and I am not.

I partitioned my 40GB Ps3 for another OS, as well as the Ps3's system software. I installed a linux bootloader, and downloaded "Fedora 9 ppc".

People say the Ps3 system is run off PPC hardware, like old macs, and so I figure I need the PPC version to work. Unfortunately, it begins booting up, I see 2 "tux" penguins at the top, and it stops at:

[​IMG]

I don't know what to type for "kboot: " I thought it was suppose to do it all on it's own. Maybe i'm just using the wrong copy of Fedora, or maybe I didn't burn a bootable disk properly

To burn a bootable disk, I:
    -opened the .ISO file to mount it
    -Inserted a blank DVD
    -Opened disk utility and selected the ISO image
    -Selected "Burn"

Is that correct?

2. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

at Kboot: you should be able to just hit enter and have it continue to the installation.

I'll warn you though, Linux on the ps3 is pretty shoddy. I just did it with mine with a 160 gig hd and it was terrible. The ONLY reason I wanted it was to be able to watch mkv files with VLC instead of having to transcode it with twonky media and watching it on the regular ps3.

It would play regular avi's somewhat ok but anything with a decent resoltion it choked terribly.

Just regular computer use was pretty terrible also.

I tried Ubuntu but it froze on installation, I installed Debian and it was bad, I installed Yellow Dog (the officially supported version) and it was crap.

Zack

3. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I installed Yellow Dog on my PS3. When it got to the kboot prompt, I just hit "enter" and it continued the installation.

I really expected more from Linux on the PS3. I wanted to use it as a light-use machine, just browsing the internet and using OpenOffice. Even just browsing with FireFox is a let down. Being limited to only 256MB of RAM kills the experience.

4. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

really? So I should just reformat the entire PS3 for the Ps3 system and quit trying. If it can't even browse the internet properly, what is the point?

I have Fedora 8 on my ACER laptop dual booting with windows XP, so if I need to use it, I can use that.

5. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

my method of burning a bootable disc, is that correct? or did I forget a step somewhere?