Linux on the MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CarlisleUnited, Mar 13, 2009.

1. CarlisleUnited macrumors 6502

I was just wondering what the dual boot options are for booting linux on a MacBook, does it go through Bootcamp or are there other options? Obviously I would prefer a native installation over a virtual machine.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

A simple answer for you: Yes, this does work. The folks over at the Ubuntu Wiki even made a handy guide for this. That said, you should use Boot Camp to partition the drive - but note that Boot Camp will NOT be able to restore the drive to a single partition later.

3. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I'm always reluctant about giving up local HDD space, so I run everything in VMWare Fusion. I've been contemplating trying out ubuntu, so far i've got virtual machines for XP & Vista

4. STXSTEVE macrumors member

STXSTEVE

Easiest way to experiment with different OS's is with VMware fusion or Parallels. This way you can create as many virtual machines as you want, preferably on an external drive so you don't eat up space on you internal HDD. Also, this will make it so the virtual OS "Linux" in this case will share all you network connections, so you don't have to jump through hoops to get you wireless card working.