Linux on USB Drive For Beginners

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Nov 25, 2010.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I have been reading up on the various distros of Linux and don't fancy the idea of partioning my hard drive to accomodate an installation so I've decided to try and get a suitable one to install on a USB drive.

With so many variations I'm not sure which one to install and am therefore looking for advice.

Essentially I am looking for something that's easy to install on a USB drive with minimal tinkering and will be compatible with my Mac's WiFi - not even sure if this is possible!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

2. andylyon, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I'd check out Ubuntu, i've only used a few Linux distros but this seems the most complete and user friendly.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

AnDy

3. bingefeller, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi AnDy,
    Thanks!

4. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

I can highly recommend installing VirtualBox http://www.virtualbox.org/.
    This way you can install any kind of Linux or Windows in a file on you harddrive (or USB drive if you like) and have it run parallel to OSX.

5. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Seems like the best option really. I'll have a read up on this.

6. whitegoodmen macrumors newbie

I first tried Linux from a live CD. You can do this by just downloading the Linux distribution of your chose and burning it on a CD. Then you can play with it as long as you want before you install it.
    I did this with an old Dell laptop that has low specs. The laptop is faster now then my nice desktop.
    If this is your first time every using Linux I would recommend Linux Mint. Mint is based off of Ubuntu but with all the extra stuff you are going to add anyway. Like if you want to play a DVD Mint will do this right out of the box with no setting up. Flash, Java, Open office etc. Mint is like Ubuntu but with all the bugs fix and being more user friendly. Have fun!