linux + OS X = how?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by grooveattack, May 27, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

hi all.
    i think i have abit of a mega question to ask. i would like to have Ubuntu on my macbookpro as well as os x, i guess i use bootcamp for this? any ideas on how i go about this? i am tech minded but have never tried this and am abit lost on what to do. I did try googleing it but that got me lost even faster! am i going to have to wipe my hard drive? could i install it on an external hard drive?

any help will be great thanks

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you could use Boot Camp Assistant to make the partition then boot into the Ubunutu installer disc and format and install. but then you would have to look for drivers for your MBP.

the easiest way would be to use Fusion or Parallels as they include Mac drivers for Linux.

but may i ask why you want to install Ubunutu? as OS X can run Linux apps using X11. but if your installing it purely out of curiosity then fair enough… i installed Ubuntu in Parallels for the same reason.

3. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

just out of curiosity really. looks quite good. i was looking into buying a laptop either with no OS or with Ubuntu already on it but i really dont have the monies but if you can suggest one that would be great!

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

while installing via boot camp is not that straight forward one google search got me the following

http://blog.mobiledude.com/articles/2006/08/20/apple-macbook-dual-booting-ubuntu-linux

and some more hunting got me this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

its always good to google before you ask around.

Also be sure to look for more instructions as boot camp was built more for windows than it was linux as yet again OSX is compatible with linux binaries and libraries as it is unix now (Yes i do get the whole Like Unix thing but that is unimportant here)

5. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Dell sells ubuntu computers but I have to say I hate all dells.

Your best option is a mac as the operating system it comes with does not suck. ;)

6. grooveattack thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there defently no way on installing onto an external HDD? i googled that but only windows tutorials came up.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

You can also install Ubuntu on VMware or Parallels.
    Not free, but a very easy way of getting used to Ubuntu as all the "drivers" are handled by the virtualsation software.
    Ethernet, Wifi, grfx etc. are all working without any hassle.

9. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

you might be able to install on a external hard drive, or even network hard drive if its through ethernet connection.

but if you do this it will still probably need to install somthing on the laptop it self. but i know you can install ubuntu as a university professor tech guy installed xp and ubuntu and had osx on the same machine, and he actually installed it all remotly which i dont know how he did, but he did

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Don't have time to install it myself, but you can get a pre-installed version. Expand the archive, copy it over, and run it on a Mac (hold Option when you boot up).

I have linux on an usb thumbdrive.
    Linux also runs on CD / DVD on a Mac.