Linux program on OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hexagonheat, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hexagonheat macrumors member

There is a program called ATP which is short for "Alternative Transients Program" that I need to use for my work. The developers are extremely protective of this software even though it is free to use. You have to send a signed contract agreement to them through snail-mail before you can get a password to the site to download the program.

This program is only available for Windows and Linux. There is no alternative for OSX.

Can I somehow use the source for Linux to compile and run on OSX? Obviously Fink isn't going to work because of the licensing it can't be added as a package to the repositories.

Any help besides running it through Linux or Windows with an emulator?

2. ianray macrumors 6502

Porting the Linux code to OS X may be straightforward (particularly if the program is console-based and uses Posix APIs, or is based on a cross-platform framework such as Qt).

On the other hand, running it under an emulator (or Bootcamp) would be much easier!

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

A linux app will need to be recompiled for OS X. If they're really that protective of their program, I seriously doubt they'll send you the sources for it.

Maybe try VirtualBox with a Linux VM.

4. hexagonheat thread starter macrumors member

Ok here is another dumb question: I have all the files that I downloaded (there are a lot of them) how do I know if I have the source files? I'm new to Linux, a lot of the files don't have an extension.

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

The source code files are the actual computer program, as written by the programmers. Most likely the program is written in C or C++, so I'd look for .c or .cpp extensions. Usually all such files are together in a directory, sometimes named src. Often there is a file named Makefile or configure, which helps build the program, ie, convert the source code into an executable file.

I visited the ATP site, and I doubt you'll get this to work easily on OS X. However, you may be able to run the Windows version easily enough using wine. Or you can install Windows on your Mac.

6. techwhiz macrumors 6502a

ATP on a Mac

What about Parallels?

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

Still need to install Windows. On the other hand, wine doesn't need Windows.